My Weight Loss Progress:
This includes about 16 lbs. lost on my preop diet. I've lost the rest since surgery.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Best. Enchilada. Casserole. EVER!!!

It's pretty rare that I invent a recipe completely from my head and have it come out the way I want on the first try(see, crab mac and cheese debacle). I'm just not that good of a cook! I'm more of a tweak-existing-recipes kinda gal normally. Now, I know that I didn't invent enchilada casserole (I'm not an idiot) but I did invent this particular recipe. Which is, if I do say so myself, the best enchilada casserole I've EVER had.

I decided to go with enchilada casserole rather than just plain enchiladas for the obvious reason that less tortillas are necessary. Although this recipe is obviously not low-fat or low-cal (something you will notice with most of my recipes!), it is low-carb. Oh, and did I mention it's DELICIOUS?!?!

A side note, before I give you the recipe: have you ever boiled chicken before? I haven't, except to make shredded chicken which is what I wanted for this recipe. I'd never tasted it by itself before because I thought it would be pretty bland and yucky. I was wrong! Boil it in salted and spiced water (like in this recipe) and it is deee-lightful! Try it! I think I'm going to make some more and keep it in the fridge for salads etc.

Anyway: Sleevey's Enchilada Casserole

4 chicken breasts (about 8 oz each)
lots of ground red pepper, garlic powder, and kosher salt
1 cup soft cream cheese (note: do NOT use light - it gives the filling a weird texture!)
1/2 cup diced green chiles - I used canned
1 1/2 cups 2% cheese, shredded (I used Mexican blend but I bet cheddar would work just dandy)
10 small corn tortillas (I used Mission's extra thin version to save on carbs)
about a cup of enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cups regular cheddar, shredded

Place chicken breasts in a saucepan with enough warm, well-salted water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer until chicken is about 75% cooked. Break breasts apart with forks and add plenty of ground red pepper and garlic powder. Make sure the spices dissolve in the water and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon, set aside on a plate to cool. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
Combine cream cheese, chiles, and 2% cheese in a mixing bowl. Add a little cooking liquid from the chicken - maybe 2 tbsp. Shred cooled chicken and add to the cream cheese mixture, combine well. Add a little more cooking liquid as needed.
Pour a little enchilada sauce on a plate and more in the bottom of a baking dish. Coat tortillas in sauce and layer on top of the sauce - tear them into pieces to make a solid layer (minimize overlap). Spoon some chicken mixture on top and gently spread out. Repeat with another layer of sauce-dipped tortillas, then another of chicken mixture. Finish with sauce-dipped tortillas and finally the regular cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Makes 18 servings: 200 cal, 10.5 g fat, 5.5 g carbs, and 18 g protein per serving.
Whole recipe contains 3550 cal, 191 g fat, 100 g carbs, and 330 g protein.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious, too, I'll put it on my list of recipes to try ASAP. I am always trying to make a yummy enchilada casserole my kids will love. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete