My Weight Loss Progress:
This includes about 16 lbs. lost on my preop diet. I've lost the rest since surgery.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Making Boxed Stuff Better

I admit it: sometimes I use boxed mixes. Some of you may have observed the shitstorm that came down on OH (and here, actually) when I mentioned using canned pumpkin instead of oil and stuff in cake mix (dear God, you'd think I held those people down and forced the evil cake mix down their throats...)

Well, here's something slightly better than that, at least. I love Dr. Oetker Organics Muffin Mix. Oatmeal muffin mix, to be precise. It's definitely not low-carb, but also not terribly unhealthy - the ingredient list reads like, well, a recipe (rather than a science experiment) and the mix is made with whole-wheat flour. (as an aside, I'm reading this and thinking, goddamn, I should really make these from scratch if this really is all this $4 mix is!)

So, usually I make them as-is. At 150 cal per muffin, it's not bad. But today, I had a flash of inspiration (as well as a ton of extra Fage in the fridge) and I tossed in a cup of that plus three drops of EZ-Sweetz. Yum! Bonus: added protein! Bonus bonus: It made 18 muffins instead of 12, cutting calories to just over 100 (108, to be precise) per muffin. Each muffin also has 3 grams of protein, a little under 1 gram of fat, and about 22 grams of carbs, most of which are whole-grain. Not too shabby!


No comments:

Post a Comment