My Weight Loss Progress:
This includes about 16 lbs. lost on my preop diet. I've lost the rest since surgery.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crab Cakes Recipe

I think I'm going to tinker with this recipe some more. I started with a recipe from Cooking Light. It didn't seem to need many changes! It definitely needed more egg as binder, so I used 2 whole eggs rather than 2 whites. I also used regular mayo because I like it better, added a few drops of Tabasco for a kick, and used pre-made breadcrumbs rather than making my own because I'm lazy. And I hate green onions so I left them out. Those changes added 20 calories per crab cake.

Upon eating them, however, I realize they are a little dry for Sleevey. Edible, but could be better. I think next time I will use less breadcrumbs (maybe 1 cup), which would allow me to go back to the original 2 egg whites, plus add some shredded parmesan (prob. also 1 cup), turning these into super-protein-y parmesan crab cakes (with approx 200 cals and 22 g protein). I'll keep you posted. 


1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 T chopped fresh dill
dash salt and pepper
2 large eggs
2 T mayo
A few drops of Tabasco
1 lb crab
1 T canola or olive oil
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400, and prepare a cookie sheet by spraying w/ cooking spray. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat eggs in a small bowl and mix in mayo and Tabasco. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in crab. Form into 6 equal patties (here, you could refrigerate for a couple hours to make them more firm, freeze for storage, or cook immediately). Brown patties on both sides in a skillet with the canola oil (if they fall apart in the skillet, just press them back together. They'll bind in the oven). Place on prepared cookie sheet, bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Delish with cocktail sauce or aioli (try a lemon-dill aioli: mix 3/4 c mayo, 4 t lemon juice, 3 cloves minced garlic,  and 1 T fresh minced dill. Be sure to refrigerate for at least a couple hours to allow the flavors to blend!).
1 crab cake (no sauce) has 160 cals, 6 g. fat, 8 g. carbs, and 16 g. protein.

UPDATE 1/18/10: I tried my parmesan crab cakes idea and am sorry to say I have not yet reached crab cake nirvana. Fortunately, I only made a half batch this time...I'm learning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment