My Weight Loss Progress:
This includes about 16 lbs. lost on my preop diet. I've lost the rest since surgery.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Comfort food: chicken, mushroom, and rice casserole

This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on Kalyn's Kitchen. Excellent comfort food - and it's really easy and  relatively healthy due to the brown rice.

a couple tablespoons olive oil
a couple tablespoons dehydrated onions (or you could surely use the real thing, I just don't like them)
16 oz button mushrooms, chopped
Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
3-4 cups cooked chicken (I used rotisserie, skin removed)
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used lowfat mexican blend because that's what I had)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Brown dehydrated onions, add mushrooms, and saute until liquid evaporates. Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in chicken and remove from heat. Mix sour cream, mayo, and chicken broth in a large bowl. Add chicken mixture and rice, stir well. Add cheese and, again, stir well. Bake at 350 for about a half hour.

Next time, I'm going to add more veggies. Maybe green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment